- How do I manage my labels with the Label Manager?
- How do I use/create Cascade charts?
- How do I transfer my software to a new computer?
- Can I import my custom palettes into Mekko Graphics?
- I would like my Y axis to be vertical, not horizontal on my charts. Is this possible?
- Can I create a horizontal legend?
- Can I save specific colors for a chart that will retain regardless of my Preference Manager settings?
- I’d like some more help. Does your company offer training?
- Does Mekko Graphics come in different languages?
How do I manage my labels with the new Label Manager?
Think of the Label Manager as the control panel of your chart. The Label Manager lists the status of every label in your chart giving you maximum control over the placement of each label. The following categories comprise a comprehensive list of all the possible statuses that may display for any given label.
- Placed – the label is placed as initially drawn on the chart
- Unplaced – the label does not fit on the chart as initially drawn and does not display on the chart
- Resized – label has changed size since its initial state
- Edited – label has been manually edited (includes Bold, Italic, Underline, font typeface change, font color change, strikeout, double underline, in place editing, rotation, and slant)
- Moved – label has been moved from its initial position. Once a label is moved, it is considered a manual label and is no longer “connected” to the chart; that is, global changes to the chart will not apply to a moved label.
- In Other – the label has been placed in an other series. Once a segment is part of the other series (unless it is the other series), its label is no longer displayed and its status becomes “In Other”.
- SmartPlaced – SmartPlace is a Mekko Graphics technology that intelligently positions an unplaced label in its home segment of the chart at the lowest possible font size ensuring it will display on the chart.
- Annotated – the user has chosen to annotate (place a label outside its home segment with a line drawn from the label to its home segment) a label on the chart. If no alternate position can be calculated, the label remains unplaced.
- Hidden – the label has been hidden from view on the chart
How do I use/create Cascade charts?
A cascade chart (or sometimes referred to as a waterfall chart) is a special type of floating-column chart. Cascade charts show how an initial value is increased and decreased by a series of intermediate values, leading to a final value. Positive values build up, negative values build down. Cascade charts can categorize revenue or cost components of a market segment, as defined by the data series being measured. Each bar is related to and affected by the values in the surrounding bars. That is, given the first bar value, the next bar adds (or subtracts) to it a second value. The third bar then adds (or subtracts) to that value, and so on. The last bar shows the final value after all additions (or subtractions) have been made. You can create or designate a bar as a total bar, which is the sum of the intermittent bars in the cascade chart.
How do I transfer my software to a new computer?
To transfer your license from one machine to another, you must first deactivate the license on the original machine. To do this, you must uninstall the software from your older computer to comply with the license agreement. When you uninstall the software, the software is automatically deactivated so that activation is available for another installation on another computer using the same serial number.
Can I import my custom palettes and draw orders from legacy versions of Mekko Graphics?
Yes, you can import custom .xml files containing custom colors and draw orders which you created in earlier versions of Mekko Graphics.
Launch the Preference Manager from the Mekko Graphics menu in PowerPoint.
Click Add from File, and navigate to the XML file you wish to import.
Note – we also have several custom palettes on our website, which are free to download and easy to import into Mekko Graphics. The link to download these custom palettes is here.
I would like my Y axis to be vertical, not horizontal on my charts. Is this possible?
The Mekko Graphics Preference Manager allows you to have full customization of colors and color usage, fonts, and other settings that affect chart appearance. The Settings tab in the Preference Manager allows you to select the Mekko Graphics default setting that corresponds to your geographical area. Once you choose your region, you may overwrite the default settings by choosing the Customized radio button and creating a custom definition for your region. Customized settings in this tab are saved for each region.
Launch the Preference Manager and navigate to the Settings tab.
To set a Mekko Graphics default for Y axis vertical margins, go to the Settings tab, and choose Vertical in the Y Axis Title Orientation dropdown menu. Click OK.
Can I create a horizontal legend?
By default, the legend displays as a single column on the right hand side of the chart. However, the legend is totally customizable. Similar to a Microsoft PowerPoint® text box, you can select the legend area and resize it. Small circles appear in the four corners of the legend area and in the middle of each side. Drag the legend areas from any of these circles to increase the size of the legend area. As the size increases, Mekko Graphics will attempt to fit all labels in the new legend area at the legend font size.
Can I save specific colors for a chart that will retain regardless of my Preference Manager settings?
Yes, you can create custom colors for segments or series in your chart right within Mekko Graphics. When you designate custom colors in Mekko Graphics, they take precedence over your default colors in the Preference Manager and will retain regardless of your Preference Manager settings. To do this, simply right click the desired segment, click the Series or Segment fill color drop down menu and choose and existing color in your palette, or click the More Colors button to create a custom color.
Here, you may create a new color by selecting on the palette or by directly typing in a RGB value.
Click OK. These custom colors will retain in your chart until you change them.
I’d like some more help. Does your company offer training?
We offer bi-monthly, free webinars. Please check here for more information or to sign up for our next webinar. We also offer Mekko Graphics customized training for our local customers, and online customized training for our non-local customers. (We are located just outside of Boston Massachusetts.) The training usually lasts about 2 hours and is lecture style. We give an overview of Mekko Graphics and interactively build the various Mekko Graphics charts (questions encouraged!!). This covers the basics of chart creation as well as highlights the more advanced features. We can customize the chart types we demonstrate, so that we can be sure to cover the charts that would be most helpful to you and your team. In addition, if you have specific requests, we are happy to try to accommodate them. The training is scheduled at a mutually convenient time and is tailored to your environment. We like to keep the size of the group to about 12+/- to give adequate time to answer questions.
Does Mekko Graphics come in different languages?
We will have a German version of Mekko Graphics, and plan additional language support in the near future. Please email us if you have a specific need.