Roger Federer, Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi all topped $100M in income, as shown in this horizontal bar chart with data column. Six basketball players were among the top 20. The data are from the Forbes 2020 list of highest-paid athletes.
Some athletes received over 95% of their earnings from endorsements, including Federer and Tiger Woods. Others received over 95% of their earnings from salary or winnings, including quarterbacks Kirk Cousins and Jared Goff and boxer Deontay Wilder.
Highest Paid Athletes in a Horizontal Bar Chart
How I Made this Highest Paid Athletes Horizontal Bar Chart
Here is the data I used to create the chart:
The salary and endorsements numbers were typed in from Forbes. The total and percentage endorsements were computed using formulas. I then moved the data for the athlete to the column that corresponded to their sport.
Here's how I made the highest paid athletes horizontal bar chart with data column:
- create a horizontal stacked bar chart in PowerPoint
- type the data into the Mekko Graphics Data Editor as described above
- press the Switch Bars and Series button to treat the spreadsheet rows as bars and the columns as series
- use the bars and series dialog to show the percentage column as a data column and to hide the columns for salary/winnings, endorsements and total
- add the legend and move to bottom
- hide y axis and x axis line
- adjust internal margins and y axis maximum
- format bar totals as $M and endorsements percentage as %
- change series colors