Amazon's Q1 2019 Results
Amazon's sales were up just 17% but net income reached its highest level ever, up 119% over Q1 2018, as shown in the top 2 bar charts. Profit margin was just 6% as shown in the cascade/waterfall chart. Profits were up significantly for AWS and North America, as shown in the 100% stacked bar chart.
Amazon's Q1 2019 Results in a 4 Chart Dashboard
How I Made This 4 Chart Dashboard
The data for these charts can be found in Amazon's quarterly filings. The data on previous quarter's sales and profit is also summarized in data sets available from Statista I copied some data from Statista and typed the rest into Excel:
Here's how I made the bar charts with bar comparison lines for revenue and profits:
- insert 4 charts onto a slide from the Mekko Graphics menu in PowerPoint and delete all but the top left chart
- open the first chart and paste the Amazon revenue data from the first 3 rows of the above Excel
- designate the third row as a data row to handle the year labels and hide the label "Data Row"
- add the y axis title, hide the axis line, labels and tick marks
- adjust internal margins
- add the bar comparison line from Q1 2018 to Q1 2019 bars
- format the bar comparison line percentage to remove parentheses
- display the bar totals with one decimal place
- hide the segment labels
When the revenue bar chart is complete, copy it, paste it and place the copy in the top right. Replace the Amazon revenue data with profit numbers. Use data scaling to convert numbers in millions to billions to make the scale the same as in the revenue chart. Copying and pasting allows the two charts to be aligned along the x axis and have matching margins.
The bottom two charts are similar to other cascade and 100% stacked bar charts I have made. Check out other Charts of the Week posts to learn how to make them. This link is to an income statement cascade chart similar to the one in the lower left and this link is to a 100% stacked bar chart similar to the segment analysis in the lower right.
Take This Chart and Make It Your Own
Download this chart and edit it using Mekko Graphics. See more bar charts in our chart gallery. Here are some other charts that may be of interest: