Americans prefer their coffee and toast light, eggs scrambled and bacon very crispy, as shown in this 100% stacked bar chart. The survey of breakfast preferences was conducted by YouGov.
The 100% stacked bar chart can show a profile of several different products or companies in a single chart. In this case each breakfast food is shown in a separate bar and each bar is broken down into a different set of items (e.g., almost white, very light, light and black for coffee). Many of our customers use this kind of chart to show different characteristics of a given company or industry (e.g., sales by channel, customer size, region). This profile 100% stacked bar chart can replace multiple pie charts and is much easier to read.
American Breakfast Preferences in a 100% Stacked Bar Chart
How I Made this 100% Stacked Bar Chart
Here is the breakfast preferences data I used to create the 100% stacked bar:
Here's how I made the 100% stacked bar chart:
- type in the breakfast preferences data from the YouGov article with the data along the diagonal and each bar with its own set of row labels
- remove the y axis and x axis line
- adjust the bar gaps to make the bars wider
- set internal chart margins wider so that the chart fills its container
- in Bars and Series Format dialog, multi-select series in Series Style tab to set all series colors to a light gray
- color the largest segments in each bar to highlight them
- add segment links to further highlight largest segments in each bar
- annotate smallest labels in toast bar