The Best Picture Oscar winner lags far behind the top box office movie as shown in this cluster bar chart. The average box office for the Best Picture winner was $178M with Slumdog Millionaire the 2008 winner leading with $378M. The average box office #1 brought in $1,464M with Avatar leading with $2,777M. Box Office Mojo provided the data for the chart. While the Best Pictures were often dramas like this year's winner The Shape of Water, the box office #1s were dominated by action movie franchises like Star Wars and Marvel.
Cluster Bar Chart with Average Lines
How I Created The Cluster Bar Chart
I chose a horizontal cluster bar chart to show in the chart both the year and the names of the Best Picture winner and box office #1 movie. Each bar represented a year. I typed in the data and the movie names into the Mekko Graphics Data Editor.
Here are the steps to make the chart:
- create columns for each year and rows for box office revenue for box office #1 and best picture winner and for the names of the best picture winner and box office #1
- make the movie name rows data columns
- adjust margins to provide lots of white space to the left of the chart
- adjust sort so that the 2018 bar is on top
- reduce the font size of all labels to 8 point
- move years to the left edge of the chart
- copy the movie names into an Excel spreadsheet and replace the spaces in the names with non-breaking spaces (Alt-0160) to prevent the movie names from word wrapping in the chart and move them back into the Mekko Graphics Data Editor
- move the movie names for best picture to the left of the axis to align with the top bar of the cluster and take a similar approach with #1 box office names
- in-place edit the Harry Potter label to fit it on two lines
- color the series
- add the average lines, color them to match the series colors and place the labels on the bottom of the chart
- add the legend and move it to the upper right.
Take This Chart and Make It Your Own
Here are some other posts that may interest you: