Over the last decade, U.S. adults increased their time spent on mobile devices by 460%, from 45 to 252 minutes per day. Time spent on radio, television and magazines all declined, as shown in this 100% stacked bar chart. The media consumption data originally appeared in Recode and was reproduced with a data table in Visual Capitalist.
Overall media consumption grew just 20%, from 554 minutes per day in 2011 to 666 minutes in 2021. The mix of how American adults spent their time radically changed. For example, they spent 57% of their time watching television in 2011, but this fell to just 38% in 2021.
Media Consumption in a 100% Stacked Bar Charts with Data Column
How I Made this Media Consumption 100% Stacked Bar Chart
Here is the data I used to create the 100% stacked bar chart:
Here's how I made the chart:
- copy the media consumption data from Visual Capitalist into Excel
- create a 100% stacked bar chart in PowerPoint from the Excel data
- click the Switch Bars and Series button to treat the columns in the data Editor as series
- use Bars and Series to set % change as a CAGR column
- add the 20% total value to the CAGR column
- show values and calculated percentage labels in the segments of all bars
- add legend, align with CAGR column, and hide CAGR label
- adjust internal chart margins and bar gaps