The highly fragmented SaaS market is more than twice the size of the more consolidated IaaS market. The cloud computing market map is shown in this Marimekko chart. . The IaaS market is dominated by Amazon (AWS) and Microsoft Azure. The top two players control 63% of the IaaS market. While the top 2 in the SaaS market have only a combined 15% market share. Gartner and IDC data were presented in Four myths about the cloud.
Cloud Computing Market Map in a Marimekko Chart
Why Use a Marimekko Chart for a Market Map
The Marimekko chart breaks down the cloud computing market along two dimensions simultaneously. The reader can see the relative size of each market segment (IaaS versus SaaS) and the relative size of each competitor in the segment. You can quickly see if one segment is more consolidated or fragmented than the other and if there are different competitors in different segments.
How I Made this Marimekko Chart
Here is the cloud computing market data I used to create the Marimekko chart:
Here's how I made the Marimekko chart:
- create a Marimekko chart in PowerPoint and enter the data into the Mekko Graphics Data Editor as above
- Sort Bars with widest on left and sort series with biggest on bottom of each bar
- exclude Other from the series sort so that it always appears on the top
- show series names, values, percentages in segment labels and values and percentages in bar totals
- format segment values, bar totals, and grand total to show as $B with 1 decimal place
- annotate labels of smaller segments
- color Other series light grey
- adjust margins