Five countries produced almost ¾ of the world’s coffee, as shown in this doughnut chart. Brazil’s 63.4M bags alone accounted for 37% of 2020 output. Coffee production data are from the International Coffee Organization as reported in Visual Capitalist.
Coffee Production by Country in a Doughnut Chart
Why Use a Doughnut Chart for Coffee Production by Country
I am not a big user of pie and doughnut charts. I would use a single bar 100% stacked bar chart to show the data above. It is more compact and it is easier to compare segment sizes in a 100% stacked bar chart. That being said, some managers have a strong preference for pie and doughnut charts. Mekko Graphics has included these chart types to meet that need. You can easily switch chart types to see how the same data will display as a doughnut or a 100% stacked bar chart.
How I Made this Doughnut Chart
The coffee production data is presented below:
Here's how I made the horizontal bar chart with data column:
- create a doughnut chart in PowerPoint
- enter the data into the Mekko Graphics Data Editor as above, adding the vey small segment to create a label for the hole at the center of the doughnut
- show segment labels, values, and percentages
- format values as $M and 1 decimal place
- rotate doughnut 360 degrees and set size of hole
- adjust internal chart margins to make doughnut larger
- set font size for all labels to 12 point
- move labels to put total in hole and to move Ethiopia out of segment
- change color for rest of world segment