Eighty per cent of the 133,359 COVID-19 deaths are concentrated in 7 countries with 20% in the US, as shown in this 100% stacked bar chart. The seven other countries are mostly in Europe--Italy, Spain, France, United Kingdom, and Belgium, with Iran being the other. COVID-19 deaths data were compiled by worldometer on April 15.
The 27,886 US COVID-19 deaths are also concentrated. There were 10,834 in New York, which is 39% of the total in the US. New Jersey accounted for 10% (2,805). Two other states, Michigan and Louisiana, had over 1,000 deaths.
COVID-19 Deaths by Country and by State in a 100% Stacked Bar Chart with Exploding Bar
How I Made This COVID-19 Deaths by Country and State 100% Stacked Bar Chart
The COVID-19 deaths data by country and state used for this charts is presented below:
Here's how I made the horizontal bar chart on the left:
- start with the total COVID-19 deaths worldwide and within the US in B2 and C2 above
- add formulas to B3 and C4 (e.g., =B2-SUM(B4:B14)) in B3
- these formulas will update the Rest of World and Rest of US segments as we add more countries and states below, allowing us to see how many countries and states should be added to make the most informative chart
- use segment links from top and bottom of US segment to top and bottom of US bar to create the exploding bar
- show labels in both bars and have labels contain name, value and percentage
- sort series with biggest on bottom, but exclude rest of world and rest of US from sort
- change series colors to make US and states shades of blue, European countries shades of green, and rest of world and rest of US gray.
- annotate labels in smaller segments
- adjust internal margins, hide axis lines and tick marks