Nintendo's Switch accounts for over 80% of current-gen game consoles sold globally, as shown in these Marimekko charts. Japan is its strongest market with a 95% share. Switch was introduced in 2017 and has a head start on its two competitors PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X/S, which were not introduced until 2020. PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X/S account for 12% and 7% of current-gen game consoles units sold, respectively. Data are from VGChartz and were reported in November 2021.
Current-Gen Game Consoles Sold to Date in two Marimekko Charts
Why Use a Marimekko Chart for Game Console Sales
The Marimekko chart displays lifetime game console sales along two dimensions simultaneously. The reader can see the number of consoles sold in each region, the relative size of each competitor and can spot differences in competitor sales across regions. Using the two Marimekko charts provides a view of both the global competition and the competition by region.
How I Made these Marimekko Charts
Here is the game console sales data I used to create the Marimekko charts:
Here's how I made the by region Marimekko chart:
- copy the data from VGChartz into an Excel spreadsheet
- create a Marimekko chart in PowerPoint from the Excel data range
- use Bars and Series to remove the series for older consoles from the chart and to remove the Global data bar from the chart
- Sort Bars with widest on left and sort series with biggest on bottom of each bar
- show values, percentages in segment labels and values and percentages in bar totals
- add legend to show series names
- format segment values, bar totals, and grand total to show as M with 1 decimal place
- color series
- add x axis title
- hide axes and adjust margins
Copy the chart and paste it back into the slide to create the Global chart. Change the visible bars to Global. Adjust sizes and align the two charts.