Mobile internet advertising revenue grew at a 77% annual rate (CAGR) over the past 5 years, while desktop ad revenue CAGR was just 1%. Data for desktop, mobile and total internet as revenue, year over year growth rates in each, and mobile share of total revenue are presented in this stacked bar chart with data rows, CAGR column, and growth lines. IAB Internet Advertising Revenue Report was the data source.
Mobile versus Desktop Internet Advertising Revenue in a Stacked Bar Chart with Data Rows and CAGR Column
How I Made This Internet Advertising Stacked Bar Chart
Data for this mobile internet advertising chart are presented below:
The data for the chart itself is in the range A1:K3. Column L contains the CAGR for 2014-18 and uses the built-in Mekko Graphics CAGR formula (e.g., =CAGR(start value, end value, number of periods). Rows 4, 5, and 6 contain formulas used to compute YoY growth and mobile internet advertising share.
Here's how I made the mobile internet advertising stacked bar chart:
- designate rows 4, 5, and 6 as data rows and format them to show as percentages and designate column L as a CAGR column in the Bars and Series dialog
- show all segment labels as values
- format segment labels and bar totals to show with $ as prefix (units
- add the legend and move it to the upper left of the chart
- hide the y axis
- adjust the internal chart margins to reduce the left margin
- uncheck autowrap to display the data row headers on a single line
- add the growth lines for 2009-2013 and 2014-2018 and show CAGR values
- adjust the series colors and remove the segment borders