Driverless car testing accounted for almost 2M miles in California in 2020, as shown in this stacked bar chart. Mileage declined 32% from 2019 after rapid growth from 2015-2019. GM’s Cruise and Waymo are the leaders. The number of autonomous vehicles used for testing also increased from 71 in 2015 to 676 in 2019. The Last Driver License Holder provided the driverless car data.
Driverless Car Miles in California in a Stacked Bar Chart with Growth Lines and Data Row
How I Made this Stacked Bar Chart
Here is the driverless car data I used to create the scatter chart:
Here's how I made the chart:
- create a stacked bar chart in PowerPoint
- copy the driverless car data from The Last Driver License Holder into the Mekko Graphics Data Editor
- use data scaling to change mileage to thousands
- add custom suffix to segment values and bar totals to show as "K miles"
- based on the distribution of mileage across testers, include only Waymo and Cruise grouping the rest into "Other"
- set custom order for series so that Waymo is on bottom and Other on top of each bar
- show Number of Vehicles Used as a data row
- add y axis title and hide other parts of y axis and x axis line
- create growth lines for 2015-2019 and 2019-2020 and show value as CAGR
- adjust series colors and internal chart margins