The number of electric cars has grown at 80% annually over the decade to reach 7 million in 2019, as shown in this stacked bar chart with growth line and CAGR column. Two-thirds of the electric cars are in the US and China. Data are from International Energy Agency Global EV Outlook 2020. The IEA combines stock of plug-in hybrids and battery electrics in their analyses.
Overall growth is electric car stock is slowing with worldwide year over year growth down from 63% in 2018 to 40% in 2019. Growth is strongest in China with CAGR from 2011 to 2019 at 116% versus 69% in the US.
Electric Car Stock Growth in a Stacked Bar Chart with Growth Line and CAGR Column
How I Made this Electric Car Growth Trend Stacked Bar Chart
Here is the data I used to create the chart:
The data for this chart was extracted from the pdf of the IEA report using pdftables.
Here's how I made the electric car stacked bar bar chart:
- use Excel formulas to compute rest of world sales and YoY growth and the Mekko Graphics CAGR formula to compute CAGR column
- create stacked bar chart in PowerPoint from the above Excel data range
- right-click in the Mekko Graphics Data Editor to specify that the last bar be displayed as a CAGR and the last series as a data row (formatted as a percentage)
- add the legend and align to the CAGR column
- add the growth line and display the growth as CAGR
- hide axis lines, tick marks and labels
- add y axis title
- show values in segment labels and hide the labels in bars for 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014
- adjust internal chart margins and bar gaps