Smart speaker revenue is projected to grow 93% to $3.8B in 2018, according to data from the Consumer Technology Association. Smart home tech will grow 34% to $4.5B. Virtual reality (VR) and drones will grow 18% and 17% respectively. The $6B wearable market will see only 1% growth. The bar mekko chart below displays projected market growth from 2017 to 2018 and projected 2018 market size for these five hot consumer technologies.
Bar Mekko Chart
How I Created The Bar Mekko Chart
I saw this data first in a Statista infographic. I like the data, but thought the display could be improved. They used a cluster bar chart to show the 2017 and 2018 revenue and added the growth data above each cluster. A bar mekko works better as it can show the growth as the bar height and the revenue as the bar width. The viewer can see that the biggest market (wearables) will grow very little, while the somewhat smaller smart speaker and smart home markets will experience very high growth.
I took the following steps to create the chart:
- input the ten numbers (5 growth and five market size) into the Mekko Graphics Data Editor
- format the data row and bar totals as $B and %, respectively
- add "Projected Revenue Growth" as the Y axis title
- hide the x and y axis, make segment border and chart border white
- adjust margins
- align the data row numbers and data row header
- change the colors on the 5 segments to go from dark blue to light blue to light green and then dark green (you might have to make the height of the wearables bar taller to be able to select it and change its color).
Take This Chart and Make It Your Own