Most of the 3+ billion internet unconnected are in Asia and Africa. Regional adoption rates vary widely, from 71% in Eastern Asia to 24% in Eastern Africa, as shown in this 100% stacked bar chart with data column. Data on the internet unconnected come from Digital 2021: Global Overview Report.
Internet Unconnected in a 100% Stacked Bar Chart with Data Column
Why Use a 100% Stacked Bar Chart with Data Column
The 100% stacked bar chart is an alternative to the pie chart for this data. I think it is easier to compare segment sizes in a 100% stacked bar chart. It's also easier to add supplemental information in a data column. Finally, you can show information more compactly in a 100% stacked bar chart than in a pie chart.
How I Made this Internet Unconnected 100% Stacked Bar Chart
Here is the data I used to create the 100% stacked bar chart:
Here's how I made the chart:
- copy the internet unconnected data from Digital 2021: Global Overview Report into Excel
- create a 100% stacked bar chart in PowerPoint from the Excel data
- use Bars and Series to set adoption rate as a data column and set format to percentage
- add the total value to the data column in Bars and Series, Bars, Visibility tab
- show values and calculated percentage labels in the segments of all bars and add M units to segment values and bar total
- adjust segment colors, internal chart margins and bar gaps