Iron ore accounts for 94% of all metals mined. Technology and precious metals account for just 1.3M of the 3,429M tonnes of minerals mined in 2019, as shown in this 100% stacked bar chart with two exploring bars for drill down. Data are from the British Geological Survey as reported in Visual Capitalist.
Metals Mined in a 100% Stacked Bar Chart with Exploding Bars
Why Use a 100% Stacked Bar Chart for Streaming and Television Watching Snapshot
The 100% stacked bar chart with two exploding bars lets me drill down from total metals mined to into its key components and to show the relative size of each component compared to the whole.. The exploding bar allows me to drill into the streaming segment. It is a more compact and efficient way to show this than a pie or doughnut chart.
How I Made this 100% Stacked Bar Chart with Exploding Bars
The metals mined data is presented below:
Here's how I made the 100% stacked bar chart with exploding bars:
- create a 100% stacked bar chart in PowerPoint
- enter the metals mined data into the Mekko Graphics Data Editor as above
- show segment labels, values and percentages
- format segment values and bar totals with M tonnes
- hide y axis
- add segment links to indicate exploding bar
- adjust internal chart margins and bar gaps
- change series colors