The US is the most expensive and India the least when buying a 1 GB mobile data plan among the 25 largest countries, as shown in this horizontal bar chart. The mobile data price range is quite large with the average cost in the US of $8.00 and in India of $.09. Data are from a survey of 5,554 mobile data plans in 228 countries conducted by Cable.co.uk in 2020.
The other relatively more expensive countries were Mexico at $4.77, South Africa at $4.30 and Germany at $4.06. The least expensive large countries also included Italy at $0.43, Russia at $0.52 and Vietnam at $0.57. Overall 12 of the 25 largest countries had 1 GB mobile data plans at under $1, 7 were between $1 and $2, and 6 were over $2.
Mobile Data Plan Prices Worldwide in a Horizontal Bar Chart
How I Made this Mobile Data Pricing Horizontal Bar Chart
Here is the data I used to create the chart:
The data for this chart came from a downloaded excel file from cable.co.uk. I then cross-referenced this with a list of the 25 largest countries by population and grouped the countries by region.
Here's how I made the mobile data plan pricing horizontal bar chart:
- in the downloaded Excel file from cable.co.uk, delete the irrelevant data columns and the rows for countries out of the top 25 in population
- add columns for the 4 regions and place the pricing data for the country in the appropriate region
- create a horizontal stacked bar chart in PowerPoint from the Excel data range
- do not show the data in the second column
- sort the bars so that the first is on the top
- add the legend and the y axis title
- hide the other parts of the y axis and the x axis line
- adjust the internal margins and y axis maximum to maximize real estate for the bars
- move the y axis title and make it bold
- place the legend in the lower left of the chart
- format the bar totals to display as $ with 2 decimal places
- set the series colors to provide contrast among the regions