Netflix missed its quarterly forecast for net subscriber additions by 1M in Q2, which send its stock price down significantly. Over the last ten quarters, Netflix has only missed 3 times as shown in this bar-line chart. Its estimates have ranged from 2M too low to 1M too high.
Bar Line Chart
How I Created this Bar Line Chart
My colleague Diane Rich saw the chart below in Netflix quarterly results and we felt that we could better depict the relationship between forecast and actual net additions in a bar-line chart.
Using a bar-line allows the reader to better differentiate actual from forecast than the above chart.
Here are the steps needed to create the chart:
- input the data from the Netflix results into the Mekko Graphics Data Editor
- show actual as a line in a bar-line chart
- add a data row to show years
- set the variance series color to be green
- color the missed forecast segments in red
- adjust bar gaps and axis scale
- adjust margins
- move labels to improve readability
Take This Chart and Make It Your Own
Here are some other posts that may interest you: