Footwear accounts for most of Nike revenue in all regions, as shown in this Marimekko chart. North America accounted for $17.2B or 39% of 2021 revenue, followed by EMEA and then China. Footwear made up between 61%-69% of revenue in each region. Apparel accounted for most of the remainder with equipment at 4% of revenue or less in each region. Nike revenue data came from its annual report.
Nike Revenue Breakdown by Product and Region in a Marimekko Chart
Why Use a Marimekko Chart for Revenue Breakdown
The Marimekko chart displays revenue breakdown along two dimensions simultaneously. The reader can see the relative size of each region, the relative size of each product category and can spot differences in share of product category across regions.
How I Made this Marimekko Chart
Here is the Nike revenue data I used to create the Marimekko chart:
Here's how I made the Marimekko chart:
- create a Marimekko chart in PowerPoint and enter the Nike revenue by region and product category share from Nike annual report into the Mekko Graphics Data Editor
- add data row into Data Editor to show grouping into Nike brand
- Sort Bars with widest on left and sort series with biggest on bottom of each bar
- apply data scaling to divide data by 1,000 and transform millions to billions
- show series names, values, percentages in segment labels and values and percentages in bar totals
- format segment values, bar totals, and grand total to show as $B with 1 decimal place
- edit Includes Converse label to remove segment value, percentage and to show vertically
- color series
- adjust margins, align and bold data row label and Other label