B2B and IT accounted for over 50% of private equity deals in Q2 2019, as shown in the 100% stacked bar chart on the left. The other sectors, in order of number of deals, were healthcare, B2C, financial services, energy and materials and resources. Energy deals were relatively larger. They accounted for 4% of the number of deals and 15% of the deal dollars. Data for the charts are from Pitchbook US PE Breakdown 2Q 2019.
Nine $1B+ private equity deals made up 31% of the $124B deal flow dollars, as shown in the right-hand chart. At the lower end of deal size, deals under $25M accounted for 37% of the deals, but just 1% of the deal dollars.
Private Equity Deals by Sector and Size in Two 100% Stacked Bar Charts
How I Made the 100% Stacked Bar Charts
Data on private equity deals by sector and size is presented below:
The data on the left is for the by sector chart and the right side data is for the by size chart.
Here's how I made the left chart:
- add a half page 100% stacked bar chart to PowerPoint
- copy and paste the driving data from Excel into the Mekko Graphics Data Editor
- hide the x and y axis
- show series name and calculated percentage in the segment labels
- adjust internal chart margins to make the chart area wider and longer
- change series colors
- in-place edit bar label for deal flow dollars bar to add the $ and B
- shrink font of materials and resources label to better fit in small segment
Here's how I made the right chart:
- copy and paste the left chart and move it to the right of the slide, aligned with the left chart
- open the chart
- replace the data with the private equity data by deal size
- in the Bars and Series dialog, create an Other series, label it $1B+ and combine the $1B-$2.5B and $2.5B+ into this new series