There is a significant wealth gap between black and white households in the US. Black households have 153% lower median net worth and 26% lower income than white households. They are also less likely to own a home, business and stock, as shown in these cluster bar charts with bar comparison lines. Data on net worth and income are from a Federal Reserve study and data on asset holdings are from a Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland report.
Racial Wealth Gap in Cluster Bar Charts with Bar Comparison Lines
How I Made these Wealth Gap Cluster Bar Charts with Bar Comparison Lines
Here is the wealth gap data I used to create the cluster bar charts:
Here's how I made the net worth and income chart on the left:
- create a half slide chart in PowerPoint, set the type to cluster bar
- type in wealth gap data as shown in the left range above
- use switch bars and series button to treat the columns as series and the rows as bars (clusters)
- add a legend and move it to the bottom
- add the y axis tittle and remove other parts of y axis and x axis line
- adjust bar gaps and internal chart margins
- add bar comparison lines
- format the bar totals in $K
- change the series colors
Close the chart, copy it and paste a copy to create the right hand chart. Replace the data with the data on the right hand side in the above spreadsheet. Change the y axis title and the number formatting for the bar totals.