Student Loan 100% Stacked Bar Chart with Data Columns
How I Created This 100% Stacked Bar ChartI saw this data in a post from LendingTree. The data was displayed in two pie charts--one for 2008 and one for 2018. I found it difficult to compare the data between the pies and thought a 100% stacked bar would highlight the differences between 2008 and 2018 more clearly. I added a data column to further quantify the changes over the last decade. Here are the steps to make this chart:
- download the data from the LendingTree post into Excel
- arrange the data into the two columns needed for the Mekko Graphics Data Editor. Add an extra data column to display the categories to the right of the chart and add the calculated column for change from 2008 to 2018 as shown here.
- add Total Labels (Total and 5%) to the data columns under Bars and Series, Bars tab (as shown below). The line before the total labels will automatically be added to the chart.
- recolor the series to highlight student loans in red and make other series a neutral gray
- color the labels for student loans and student loan growth red
- apply appropriate number formats for segment values, bar totals, and the data columns
- annotate labels for personal loan, other to appear above bar totals
- add segment links
- adjust internal chart margins