Tech giants lost $1.28T in value in a little over one month and then gained it all back, as shown in this cluster bar chart with bar comparison lines and data column. Microsoft, Apple, Google and Facebook lost 24%, 28%, 29% and 30% respectively. Amazon fared the best among the tech giants, losing only 9% of its market cap.
Three of five tech giants were worth more on May 6 than on February 21. Amazon was 13% above its February 21 value. Microsoft and Facebook were 3% and 1% above their February 21 values. Apple was 4% below and Google 8% below. Overall, the 5 tech giants gained $1.32T in value from March 23 and were net up $42B from the February 21 market high. Market capitalization data are from Yahoo Finance.
Tech Giants Market Cap Rebound in a Cluster Bar Chart with Bar Comparison Lines and Data Column
How I Made this Cluster Bar Chart with Bar Comparison Lines
Here is the market cap data I used to create the cluster bar chart:
Here's how I made the chart:
- start with the tech giants market cap decline chart
- add May 6 market cap data from Yahoo Finance
- use formulas to compute cumulative decline, cumulative rebound and net change and add to Mekko Graphics Data Editor
- show rows 7 and 8 as data columns in chart, noting that there is a blank space in cells A7 and A8
- show bar comparison lines within each cluster bar and show values and percentages in the bar comparison line labels
- adjust internal chart margins and move data columns to appear in upper right
- align and distribute data column entries
- adjust y axis tick interval and hide y axis labels at $250B and $750B
- add x axis title for Market Capitalization on and align with legend
- change series color for May 6 data