The top 5 R&B/Hip Hop artists had the highest sales, but Ariana Grande was the top selling artist. In Pop, Country and Latin, the leading artist also had the top song for the genre. Data is for the first 24 weeks of 2019 from Nielsen's Mid-Year US Music Report.
It is interesting to see the impact of movies on music sales. For example, Queen was the top seller in the Rock genre, largely due to the Video on Demand release of the Bohemian Rhapsody film in February, 2019.
Drake did not have the top song in the R&B/Hip Hop genre, but he was featured in the top song for the Latin genre. In the Country genre, Kacey Musgraves did not make the top 5 despite winning the Grammy award for Album of the Year.
Top Genre Artists in US Music Marimekko Chart
How I Made the Top Genre Artists in US Music Marimekko Chart
Here is the data in the Mekko Graphics data editor.
Here's how I made this chart:
- Add a marimekko chart to a PowerPoint slide
- Copy the data for each genre from the Mid-Year US Music PDF and paste it into a separate column in Excel
- Copy and paste the data from Excel into the Mekko Graphics Data Editor
- Reduce the chart margins to make the chart area wider
- Under Bars and Series, on the Series tab, make the Top Song series a data row
- On the Format Chart, General tab, choose to show Bar Totals and include Series and Value labels
- Move to the Values tab and choose a data scale value of 6 to convert segment values and bar totals to millions
- Add the millions unit (M) for the Bar Totals on the Values tab
- On the Sort tab, choose the Widest on Left option under Bars Display Order
- To color this chart, I used the Modern palette (5 shades for each color) with a Preference Manager setting of Color After Sort
- I manually edited the data row text by adding a carriage return before the artist name