Private sector employment decreased by 2.8M jobs or 3% in May. The decline in April was much steeper with 19.6M jobs lost. Data for the two months are combined into this waterfall chart that is based on the ADP National Employment Report.
The leisure and hospitality sector was hit hardest in March. It lost 7.7 million jobs. Other sectors experienced smaller employment losses in April. In May, the trade/transportation and utilities sector lost .8M jobs, which followed a 3.1M job loss in April. The healthcare sector also suffered large job losses in both months--2.1M in April and .3M in May.
US Employment Change in a Cascade/Waterfall Chart with Bar Comparison Lines
How I Made this Cascade/Waterfall Chart with Bar Comparison Lines
Here is the ADP employment data I used to create the cascade/waterfall chart:
Here's how I made the chart:
- create a cascade chart in PowerPoint and type data from ADP data download into Mekko Graphics Data Editor
- add the bar comparison lines and show value and percentage
- use data scale to change numbers from thousands to millions
- format bar totals and bar comparison line value to add M as suffix and show with one decimal place
- hide y axis line, tick marks and values
- add axis break to shrink bars for March, April and May
- set coloring mode to color by bars
- change color of April and May bars to match March and to set healthcare and other bars in May to be same color as the same sector's bars in April
- adjust internal margins and bar gaps
- manually edit bar labels to make them multi-line with hyphens where needed