Over 70% of the $25B wine exports are from Europe with 47% from France and Italy, as shown in this Marimekko chart. The other large European exporters are Spain, Germany, Portugal and the UK. Australia and Chile are the largest non-European exporters, followed by the US, New Zealand, Argentina and South Africa. Data are from the International Trade Centre and are based on 2019 export value in US Dollars.
Wine Exports by Country in a Marimekko Chart
How I Made this Wine Exports Marimekko Chart
Here is the wine exports data I used to create the Marimekko chart:
The data for this chart came from a downloaded excel file from ITC that listed wine exports by country for a 5 year period and a second list that mapped countries to continents (found in a Google search). I used an Excel VLOOKUP to add continent to the wine export list in an extra column, filling in by hand any that were missed by the VLOOKUP. I then converted this data to the PivotTable shown above. I further grouped the continents into Europe and Rest of World after seeing a first version of the chart.
Here's how I made the wine exports Marimekko chart:
- add a Marimekko chart in PowerPoint based on the wine exports Excel PivotTable data shown above
- switch to narrow margins to maximize chart area
- use data scaling in Format Chart, Numbers to change the data in thousands to billions of dollars
- set the percentage calculations for segment values to the grand total (instead of bar totals)
- in Format Bars and Series, create an "Other" series and place all series with values less than $.5B in Other, reducing the countries to a more readable number
- show names, values and percentages in segments
- format segment values and bar totals as $B
- display the series name, segment value and calculated percentage in each segment and the bar total and calculated percentage at the top of each bar
- adjust colors in each segment