Over 1/3 of US workers are participating in the gig economy, while only 51% have one traditional job, according to a Gallup survey and as shown in this Marimekko chart. 64% have one or more traditional full or part-time jobs. 36% have at least one gig job. 14% have one full-time gig job, 6% have one part-time gig job and 10% have two jobs with one gig and one traditional. Gallup included contract firm workers, independent contractors, on-call workers, online platform workers and temporary jobs in there grouping of gig economy jobs.
How I Created This Marimekko Chart
I saw this data in a simple bar chart where the three bars for traditional jobs were on the left and five bars for gig economy on the right. I thought a Marimekko would do a better job of grouping the gig and traditional only workers.
Here are the steps to create this chart:
- type the percentage data into two columns on the datasheet with one for traditional and one for gig and one row for each segment
- show segment names and values in each segment
- format segment values and bar totals as percentages
- hide grand total, y axis and x axis line
- make segment borders and chart border white
- alter colors so that first bar is shades of blue and second of green
- adjust internal chart margins
Take This Chart and Make it Your Own